Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Fresh Pad Thai


I loved pad thai when I was in Thailand, I literally ate it three times a day so I knew I had to learn how to make it before I left. I had to modify the ingredients slightly when I came home but they should all be available at your local China Town or Asian Supermarket, loved for both their cheap prices and fresh produce.

Thai food is usually cooked quickly over high heat so the veggies need to be finely cut and all the ingredients need to be ready before hand so that you can quickly add them when needed so you don’t over cook anything.

Serves 2 or 3 if your hungry


Ingredients
• Vegetable oil for frying
• 4 cloves garlic
• 2 eggs
• 2 cups grated carrot
• 2 cups grated cabbage
• 1 cup chopped pre-deep fried tofu (can be found at Asian grocery stores)
• 2 green onions cut into 1/2” pieces
• Rice noodles, cooked (enough for 3 people)
• 2 tbsp fish oil
• 2 tbsp sugar
• 2 tsp chicken stock
• 6 tbsp pad thai sauce (see recipe below)
• 2 tbsp soy sauce
• 2 cups bean sprouts
• Quartered lime, sliced green onion and chopped peanut to garnish

Directions
1. Heat pan and add oil. When it is warm add garlic and crack eggs on top, scramble in pan.
2. After a couple minutes add cabbage and carrot and fry until cabbage starts to soften (around 5 minutes)
3. Add tofu and green onions after a couple minutes add rice noodles. fish oil, sugar, stock, pad thai sauce and soy sauce. Fry until carrot is cooked but still firm to the bite (around 5 minutes)
4. Add bean sprouts, take off heat and serve after a couple minutes so that sprouts soften.
5. Garnish and serve

Pad Thai Sauce
You can store in the fridge for up to three weeks in a sealed container but since I tend not to make pad thai more then once a month I just freeze the rest for the next time I get the craving.

Ingredients
• 1 can coconut milk
• 2 tbsp sugar
• 3 chopped shallot cloves
• 1 tbsp tamarind sauce
• 1 large red chili with seeds removed (I used 5 small ones instead because I couldn’t find a large one)
• 1 tbsp chicken stock
• Dash of Salt

Directions
1. Boil coconut milk
2. Add all of the other ingredients
3. Simmer for half and hour
4. Allow it to cool and blend.

No comments:

Post a Comment